As an accountant, small business owner and active networker, I meet many Suffolk businesses that are truly booming and others who no matter what they do, can’t seem to achieve the success they desire. So what differentiates the two?
- Have a positive attitude.
- Offer something new, something different or something exciting.
- Embrace technology – automate, streamline, do more with less. Cloud Accounting tools such as www.xero.com are a game changer for the small business and allow the business owner, bookkeeper and accountant to work together as a team to ensure the business owner is focused, is in control and can make meaningful decisions using real time information.
- Build their contacts (prospects and customers) list, talk to their list – check out www.mailchimp.com for easy email newsletters, or outsource.
- Add value – WOW their customers, focus on retention and upselling. They do what they say, they follow up and they deliver excellence.
- Use mixed media marketing as they know that 6-8 routes to market are far more effective than using just 1.
- Network. People buy from people. Find local networking groups that you would like to attend.
- Keep learning.
- Stop doing it all themselves. They build teams, buy in expertise they don’t have themselves and they outsource jobs they don’t like or other people could do better or more cost effectively.
- Stop guessing, start planning. They have a clear objective.
What do YOU need to start doing differently?